Post-Pardum Depression

Obviously it's been well over a year since I birthed my last child.  However, I have a lot of friends who are either new mommies or are on the verge of becoming a new mommy.  I wanted to reach out to all of you and let you know the many sides of PPD (Post-Pardum Depression).  Due to the nature of Kennedy's pregnancy and delivery, I had 3 total Post-Pardum visits.  At the first 2, they gave me the Edinburgh Test.  During my second appointment the Doctor expressed her concerns about me developing PPD.  This particular visit came after some family drama arose, so I figured my answers were a direct result from that situation.  I declined any medical intervention and explained the situation to my Doctor.  I told her that I knew once Kennedy was out of the NICU and we were home, trying to get on a normal schedule, things would be fine.

Fast forward 6 weeks and I felt like someone had thrown me into the deep end of the pool.  I couldn't understand why I was getting so overwhelmed and frustrated with Savannah, Jonathon, and myself.  It wasn't until a woman in one of my birth boards had mentioned that she wasn't yelling as much now that she was taking medication for her PPD, that the light went on.

I'd always assumed PPD meant you were depressed because your body is in shambles after you have a baby.  You aren't adjusting quite as you thought, and you didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.  I never realized PPD also could come out in anger and frustration towards your kids and even your spouse.  I remembered the Edinburgh test given to me, and looked for it online.  I took the test and my score was higher than it was the last time I'd taken it.  I realized then and there that I was suffering from PPD.  Thankfully I found a fantastic OB/GYN in Evansville who was able to provide the help I needed.

Another myth I assumed about PPD was that I wouldn't get it with subsequent children if I didn't have it with my first child.  Who knows, maybe having such an easy pregnancy with Savannah didn't trigger it with her.  Maybe I had a touch of it, but was able to bring myself out of it.  I don't know for sure.  I just assumed because I didn't need medical intervention, I didn't have it with her, I couldn't possibly get it with Kennedy.

Thankfully I have great Doctor's who were looking out for me.  If you're feeling extremely overwhelmed, depressed, angry, or just not feeling like yourself, I urge you to talk to your Doctor about PPD.  It's real and it isn't the same for everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lupron tried to kill me.....literally!

Letter to Shiloh in 2013

I Think About You