What the World Needs Now Is Grace!

Why are we so offendable?  Why are we so quick to excuse our own shortcomings, but condemn the shortcomings of others?  As a rule, almost everyone has a touch of narcissism within them.  Why wouldn't we though?  We are taught to look out for number one, all others be damned.  That's what society teaches us, but what about God?  I ask these questions for myself as much as anyone else.  Like the rest of the world, I struggle the "all about me" mentality.  However, I'm starting to realize that changing my attitude and giving a little grace is worth far more than self satisfaction or having the last word.

The first time I heard the phrase "What the world needs now is grace", I didn't know what that meant.  I was 18 and thought grace was just something you said before dinner.  16 years later, I've started to realize grace is a wonderful gift God gives us every day.  It's also a wonderful gift He gives us so we may pass it on to others.

In times when I've been hurt or offended, the only times I've not later regretted my reaction was when I showed grace and responded with love and understanding instead of anger.  Responding with grace not only prevented feelings of guilt, but it also provided peace in my heart.  There's a saying I often have to tell myself when I am angry and want to react to my anger.  You attract more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.  We can't control how others treat us.  There's always going to be people who hurt our feelings, either intentionally or unintentionally.  What we can control is our reaction to the offense.  Think of anger as fuel and grace as an extinguisher.  Responding in anger will often fuel the fire.  Responding in grace not only extinguishes the fire, but it also gives you peace about how you responded to the fire.

One of my favorite songs is "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson.  The song basically talks about the problems in the world, yet acknowledges that the only way to change those problems is to start with the person in the mirror.  Think of how many lives would be changed if we started showing grace and compassion to one another, instead of bitterness and hatred.  How many lives could be changed, our own included, if we passed along the same grace and mercy He gives us?

Again, I'm not saying I'm perfect.  I struggle with extending grace as much as the next person.  The goal of this post is to share some wisdom I have found helpful, in hopes it might help someone else.  A couple weeks ago, I had 2 friends post this image on facebook.  Hopefully you will find it helpful too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lupron tried to kill me.....literally!

Letter to Shiloh in 2013

I Think About You